What can we do as managers to encourage ethical behavior and to raise ethical standards in our organizations?
What we can do as managers to encourage ethical behavior is that we should try to practice by example the ethical means that the company believes in. By being an example means not to strictly follow them literally and punish those who does not follow. Rather, we should give them a thorough lesson on why and how the organization is doing this ethical belief. I strongly believe that verbal communication is the best way to organize a team or department and not simply emailing them and scolding them without any initial approach. I believe as managers we need to be more involved not just with executives, but also employees who work under us. We need to make sure that people are being held accountable for their actions. Company policies should be reviewed more than just once a year for compliance standards. Ethical behavior can be encouraged through pro-active measures such as addressing ethical issues early before things escalate.
We should do the following as managers to encourage ethical behavior and to raise ethical standards in our organizations:
1) CanGo should come out with the code of ethics for the employees and managers to follow. The code of ethics should be available to all employees either on the company’s website or on the company’s intranet.
2) Business ethics training should be provided to all employees to make them aware of all the points and aspects of code of ethics.
3) Ethics training should be substantiated with proper case study and real life examples so that it is easier for all the employees to relate those situations to their working environment.
4) It should be mandatory for everyone in the organization to undergo this ethics training and also to have proper assessment done on Business ethics.
5) There should be Top management focus on the Business ethics so that all employees in the company understand the essence and business significance of Business Ethics.